Posted by cdreviewer On July 11th, 2014
Just as Jesus created wine from water, we humans are capable of transmuting emotion into music. – Carlos Santana.
These words by Santana truly carry the essence of what music is all about. Music can be inspirational, encouraging, soothing and rejoicing. It all depends on the kind of music you listen to and the mood that you’re in. Various genres cater to various moods and there are phases in life that take you through various emotions, altering your mood accordingly. All you need to do is to plug in your outdoor speakers and play the tracks that complement your mood the best.
Personally, I feel that this genre of music is a little matured. If you’re someone who had a blast with your friends and girlfriends in your younger days and are now finding those moments hard to find, this is the genre for you. If you’re a man in your early thirties, you’re probably so much involved in your job that you simply do not find the time to socialize and make new friends – Eric Clapton sings for you my friend. If you’re a guy who just moved to a new city for a job and do not have a lot of friends just as yet, Buddy Guy is jamming for you buddy! Settle down in your backyard, put on the Blues on your Yamaha outdoor speakers and just flow with the music.
When you’re in one of those moods when poetry simply belches out of your soul, it is time to tune your outdoor speakers to ambient music. Sitting in your lawn late in the star-studded night with a diary in your hand, this genre has inspired artists all over the world. From sounds of nature to lounge music, ambient music is out there to soothe your nerves. I believe that people close to nature enjoy this genre the most.
Evergreen and probably your favourite genre, rock music never fails to disappoint, even if you’ve had a bad break up! Rock is the musician’s music. Have you ever noticed that all your friends who turned out to be good guitarists or vocalists have a plethora of rock music to jam with? I may be wrong but I believe that this genre of music is most enjoyed by those who cannot live their lives without music. There is nothing better than rock – post rock, space rock, you name it and you would find fans all over the globe. If you find yourself with your band sitting in your backyard simply enjoying a few drinks, there is nothing better than rock belching out from your outdoor speakers.
Hard core head banging dudes! This one’s for you. People who’ve just started checking out good music because of social pressure, this genre is not a good option to start with. On a lighter note, I have always believed that Goths connect to this genre of music the most. It can get dark, really dark and it can give you a severe neck ache. Be careful what you wish for guys.
At the risk of being a little cheesy, when the love of your life holds you hand deep in the night out there in your backyard, there is nothing better filling up the atmosphere with some jazz music. Sinatra and Buble did not just come around for nothing. You groove to the jazzy music deep into the night, only to wake up to the mesmerizing scent of the woman that you’ve truly loved – what beats that?
Posted by cdreviewer On July 10th, 2014
As a mother of three my life can be very stressful. When I am not driving my kids to games and back I like to find things that relax me. Deep meditation has been by favorite “new” way of relaxing as I kind often find a state of calmness that I could never reach before. Besides meditating I also like to do relaxing things to heel my body and mind. These include time on an inversion table, regular massages and acupuncture at least once a month.
The one thing that I always do is try to find some relaxing music to go along with these relaxing things that I like to do. With that being said, I don’t enjoy the typical elevator or boring “massage” music that some places play so I always bring my own music. Listed below are my top 8 all-time relaxing artists
- Pearl Jam - While it does have some rock and roll jams, the calm easy effect from the early tracks on this CD are among the best that are ever made. I tend to skip over the hard songs and go into the more emotional songs, these have strong lyrics, but are very relaxing.
- Adele- I love Adele’s voice and I am so glad that she has finally become famous. At hearing her voice for the first time 3 years ago I instantly fell in love. She can bring you into a song quite like no other female artist. While I love Eddie Vedder, Adele comes a very close 2nd place.
- Led Zeppelin- Some might be quite mystified by this pick, but Zeppelin’s softer music is some of the best ever made. “Thank you” is one that comes to mind off the top of my head and it is truly one of my “go to” relaxing songs.
- Jack Johnson- Another more recent artist, Jack Johnson is one of the few artists that is loved across all genres. I have an 80 year old grandmother that loves Jack Johnson just as much as my 8 year old daughter. Jack’s smooth guitar is great when you are in a sour mood.
- Mumford & Sons- A great “Irish” band, Mumford & Sons are CDs that I buy the instant that they come out from Amazon. I love that some of their hits have such a great melody that you can’t resist but loving them.
- The Black Keys- Straight out of Akron, Ohio this is one newer group that I have become addicted too lately. This is my “go to” CD when I go on walks and I can listen to all of their CDs pretty much from song one on without having to skip.
- Colbie Callait- A more soft gentle side comes from Colbie. No matter what mood I am in, Colbie’s music can make me smile when I put it on my iPod. I love how such a young girl has such a powerful voice.
- Phil Phillips- I loved Phillips the moment I saw him on American Idol. With a great voice an excellent guitar skills I thought Phillips had no chance to win Idol, but like millions of others who fell in love with him, he got what he deserved. Phillips is a younger Jack Johnson whose songs have become some of my favorite when stressed or in need of a pick me up.
Thank you for reading this article, I hope you enjoyed my list.
Posted by cdreviewer On September 20th, 2013
One thing that no one really enjoys doing is yard work and household chores. With this being said, it does need done and there are ways to make it better. One thing that makes almost anyone work harder is downloading their favorite CD onto their Ipod. Below we like to list some of choices for favorite music and the chores that go along with it.
Mowing the Lawn- Mowing the Lawn can be made much easier with a good classical music choice. Because no one really enjoys this type of work, unless you have an awesome riding mower, it is best to choose something that will mellow you out rather than make you angry or upset. I like Mozart or Chopin when I’m mowing my grass as it is hard to get upset when listening to a classic symphony.
Power Washing- Power washing a deck or driveway is an angry job for me. I take dirt and mold personal and I like to get angry as I attack it. A good old fashioned Metallica “Master of Puppets” or Guns N Roses “Appetite for Destruction” is my choice when conquering dirt and mold with my favorite pressure washer. This stuff got me pumped for football in high school and still gets me pumped to this day. Good bye dirt and scum !
Inside Cleaning- With three kids it is hard to keep anything clean for a period of time. While I love to have my kids help me clean, they just cause bigger messes more time than not. For these cleanups I like to put in “All Eyez on Me” by Tupac as this gets me pumped and moving fast. Make sure to keep these CDs away from your kiddies though as a couple Tupac Shakur lyrics can turn your kids into potty mouths in no time.
Painting- Painting is one of the most boring jobs in the world, especially without music. Because it is repetitive and boring I like to get myself in a more jazz or classical music mood as it calms me down. While I have graduated from the traditional hand painting to now using paint sprayers I still find this job quite boring. Miles Davis is something I always keep on hand when I am thinking about painting, as he puts me in a good mood no matter how I am feeling.
Overall cleaning anything isn’t very fun, but it is a necessity if you want to have nice stuff. Take these musical tips above and you will enjoy your pressure washing, dish washing or whatever other type of chores that you may do.